Envy from The Cargo Cult
Envy is all about envelopes, stealing characteristics of one sound and applying them to another.
It’s kinda like a morph, but it’s really not that. It’s part dynamics tool and part vocoder, but you won’t use it for either of those things. It’s officially a modulation plugin, but that doesn’t even begin to explain what it actually does.
Envy is really a toolkit for generating unique new material, adding textures to real world recordings or mutilating sounds to create crazy sci-fi elements. It can fit a wind recording into a machine gun, add wood to foley feet, it can superimpose a drum pattern on a vacuum cleaner, or pitch dive a vocal 6 octaves just for kicks.
Recently, I am using this Auria pro app and found really handy.
With standard AAF compatible feature and Video playback addon, I can bring and show tempmix to my clients easily and vice versa bringing back to protools.
In the situation like office meeting, I usually cut where I need to edit, and later dump AAF back to the session and place it just next to original files. This way, I know where editing points are. It is like markers.
And as a recording device, it can go up to 24bit96kHz via audio interface, so with SOUND DEVICE MIX PRE-D, it can be a really small 2ch recorder.
Full Auria Pro Feature List
Recording and Playback:
- Sample rates of 44.1KHz, 48KHz and 96KHz
- 24-bit recording
- Unlimited tracks
- Up to 24 tracks of simultaneous recording when used with compatible audio interfaces
- Full delay compensation on all tracks, subgroups, buses and aux sends
- Auto-punch recording mode
- Adjustable metering modes, including pre or post fader, RMS and peak
- AAF import and export allows transferring audio sessions between popular DAWs like Logic, Pro Tools, Nuendo, Samplitude and more
MIDI and audio editing:
- Comprehensive MIDI sequencer
- FabFilter One and Twin 2 synths included
- WaveMachine Labs’ Lyra, a multi-format sample player, included
- Real-time audio warping using élastique Pro v3
- Piano roll editor
- Tempo and time signature tracks
- Audio quantizing with warp and slicing modes
- Transient slicing
- Audio transient-to-MIDI conversion
- Real-time MIDI parameter control including quantize, velocity shift, velocity compression, length compression, random, delay, legato and transpose
- MIDI processing functions including Crescendo, Delete Controllers/Notes, Fixed Length, Fixed Velocity, Humanize, Legato, Optimize Controller Data, Pedal to Length, Restrict Polyphony, Reverse, Transpose, Velocity Compress/Limit, Velocity Gain, Velocity Range, and Velocity Rescale
- Groove template quantizing with built-in DNA grooves from Numerical Sound (additional grooves available for purchase)
- MIDI Sync support with MIDI Time Code, MIDI Clock and MMC
- MIDI Remote Control (Mackie MCU and HUI protocol)
- Touch-based waveform editor with cut, copy, paste, split, join, crossfade, duplicate, separate, gain, normalize, DC offset, reverse, and more
- Timeline ruler options include Minutes:Seconds, Bars:Beats, Samples and SMPTE time
- Ripple-edit mode
- Real-time audio scrubbing
- Built-in metronome
- Flexible snapping tools allow snapping to events, cursor, bars, beats, fractional beats, markers, locators, transients and SMPTE frames
Mixing, processing and effects:
- 64-bit double-precision floating point mixing engine
- 8 assignable subgroups and 6 aux sends
- Powerful internal bus routing with up to 32 buses and support for multiple destinations
- Direct Outputs
- Full automation support on all controls with graphical editing
- Vintage-inspired ChannelStrip by PSPaudioware on every channel includes Gate, Expander, Multi-band EQ and Compressor
- MasterStrip on all subgroup and master channels featuring PSPaudioware BussPressor, EQ and Mastering Limiter
- Convolution reverb plug-in with bundled IR library included
- ClassicVerb reverb plug-in included
- PSPaudioware Stereo Delay plug-in included
- PSPaudioware Stereo Chorus plug-in included
- Third party effect plugin support available via in-app purchase by companies including FabFilter, FXpansion, Overloud, BIAS and more
- Tempo sync and side chain support for plug-ins
- Track freeze and bounce-in-place for minimizing CPU usage
- True 100mm faders when used in Portrait Mode
- Adjustable pan laws
- External hard drive support
- Project template support
- Project snapshots
- Automatic sample rate conversion
- Audio Units, Inter-app Audio, and Audiobus support
- DropBox, SoundCloud, AudioShare, and Audio Copy/Paste support
- Optional video import feature allows sample accurate sync of video to an Auria project. Adjustable offset times and video export capability
- WIST support for wireless syncing of other compatible music apps
Available as an optional add-on purchase in the Auria Store, Auria can load a video and play it back in sync with a project, and then export a new version of the video which includes the project audio. The video preview window will stay locked with Auria’s timeline, and the video preview will even “scrub” in-time with the timeline cursor. The video’s main stereo stream can even be imported to its own audio track for further manipulation.